Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kids, you have to love them!!

I was reading my brothers blog and it made me think of one of the stories I like to tell about my son. We were at an indoor swimming pool and he was in 1st grade. Well, I was sitting by the side of the pool and some little boy pushed some other little boy in. I really didn't think much of it because that happens all the time.

So anyway the little boy who got pushed in started crying and the little 17 year old lifeguard came over to see what the problem was. The little boy was crying so hard he really could not tell her. So my son says to the lifeguard, "That boy over there in the red shorts pushed him in." and he pointed off in some direction where there were about 5 kids. They were all quite young maybe 6 or 8. So the lifeguard looks over and says to my son, "The Black kid?", my son looks at her like she has two heads and says, "No, well I guess he is kinda brown."

The lifeguard looked very embarrassed, because now she could tell I was listening in because I had a funny smile on my face. She just looked at my son and said "OH!"

The point is kids are so innocent until we change all that. He didn't care what color the kids skin was he was just trying to help the little boy explain. Kids sometimes say crazy things. But I think this time he was right and it is time we started looking at people from the inside and get over the past. Sure learn from history, we don't want to make the same mistakes. But also learn to forgive and get to know people before you judge them. Because we all just start as innocent little babies until the people around us change all that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment