Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Quinoa cold salad

Like I said before, I love quinoa.  It is full of protein, it cooks like rice and it just tastes good.  Quinoa is fat-free and cholesterol-free.  Its great for vegans because it is high in protein.  I am no vegan, but I still love it.  Lets get started.

2/3 cup of quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1/2 green pepper (or any color that is your favorite)
1/2 cucumber
1/4 to 1/2 onion (you can pick red, yellow or white)
chives
1 cup grape tomatoes
lemon juice
lime juice




Cut up your vegetable like the picture above. I like the grape tomatoes because you just cut them in half and they are perfect.  You could use any tomato you want but the grape tomato just looks good.  Dice up the other vegetables.

Boil the quinoa and the bouillon cube in the water for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed (like you would cook rice).  Set aside to cool.  


Quinoa will look like picture above.

After the delicious quinoa is cooled put it the container you will refrigerate it in.  Now add the vegetables that you chopped earlier.  I use the little squeeze lemon and lime containers, but of course your can use fresh. I put a couple squeezes of each, and stir it up.  I would say it would equal two tablespoons each.  Stir it up.  It should not be runny, just move around easily with a spoon.  You can add a little more of either according to your taste. 


Refrigerate.  You can eat it right away but it tastes better if you wait at least an hour.  Saves well for the next day.  It works well at barbeques or just as a side dish.  A little secret, I sometime just eat it for lunch.

I hope you enjoy.  I love this salad.  Please leave any message telling me how you liked it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment